Sunday, March 29, 2015

Thoughts of my conscience!

Almost once every week that I see someone on the road asking for lift. Not sure if everyone comes across this or I travel in such roads where people do not hesitate taking lifts. Oh by the way these are all men, of course women won’t or can’t ask lift from a stranger when even regular cabs aren't safe for them.. how will they trust strangers..!

So coming back to me seeing some strangers asking for lift.. my heart tells me to stop my vehicle and drop that person in need. But my mind says NO, you might get into trouble. I have heard many stories around people getting hurt or looted when they give lift to strangers. I being a paranoid person can’t stop thinking of those scenarios happening to me.

So every time I see someone looking for a drop, I look at him and almost wanting to stop but just flee away. And the whole way all I could think is did I do wrong by not helping someone in need, what if that person was in urgent need of drop. Then my brain takes over asking what if that person had a weapon and had bad intentions behind asking lift.


I felt guilty every time I did not stop and help someone who wanted lift, then came a fine day when this small boy on a flyover was looking for lift.. Without listening to my brain I just stopped blindly. Spoke to him about his school and exams while on the way and dropped him. I felt GOOD! I mean if we live in a society where we are scared to help others in need what kind of living is that.

I felt being optimistic is the only key to stay and be happy. You have a hope for the future if you can keep up your optimism. When I got the smile back from the kid after dropping there was hope that not everyone is bad. I should continue to be helping positively. 

One other example I would like to recall here is, there was this girl whom I just knew from social media. She needed a place to crash at night as her train was reaching Bangalore late at night. I offered her to stay over at my place and she obliged. No big deal right? When my friend called me that night and I mentioned about this situation to her, she yelled at me saying if I am out of my mind calling a stranger to stay at home. It’s not that she is a bad person but she is SCARED. But this incident gave me a friend who I like to talk with. And makes me be optimistic about making new friends. After all friends are a strangers at the beginning.

Thanks to https://housing.com/lookup that made be recall and share these incidents with you all.

With this all I am saying is let’s try to do good deeds on every day basis and reinstate trust in each other.

--Spread a smile today!

5 comments:

  1. Its indeed a sticky situation on whether to offer a lift of not. Being a woman in today's time and situation its not an easy choice to make.
    I was lucky last time I got a lift when I need it as no auto / cab was willing to traverse the short distance.

    And respect about the stay over bit, I know all the details and think your a hero for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. Girls usually don't give lift to strangers. You never know how they'd turn out to be. I've never seen / heard any girl stopping to give lift to a stranger. Its better to be careful than sorry. Don't feel guilty. It's okay to ignore lift requests. Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have changed so much that trusting a person has become almost impossible. Especially strangers. I come across situations like this too but I'm worried that my concern will be taken advantage of. Being women, we can't be all that trusting nowadays... given the amount of crimes taking place. Its better to be safe than sorry. The guilt is hard to get rid of but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do - be safe. :*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree our heart is always very kind but in such situations we should listen to our mind!! Being a girl I too never prefer to give lift to anyone. We are good but we can not tell about other and its all about women safety!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. loved your post and btw I have always given lifts to strangers whenever its possible and funniest part, hardly got any whenever I needed it but that doesn't stop me from giving it and asking it. :) thanks for sharing this post. loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete